What I’ve Learned from Being A Missions Ministry Leader at Waples Baptist Church
by Dena Evans
My experience started with Donna Jones, Pat Reid and myself. Donna Jones was the leader and she was on fire for missions. We talked nearly every day in our first year and had to decide what we could do and visited those places too. Donna was so driven and was a testament to never give up until the Lord decided to take her home. I miss her along with others, I am sure.
After Donna’s passing, I felt called to carry on this vital ministry, so we increased our team to 6 and there has been a lot going on since. Missions covers a lot of territory at WBC compared to our first year. Many people are going out daily, weekly and monthly serving in several missionary ministries at our church, such as:
- Aten Ministries – Local and international marriage counseling/retreats for both pastoral and lay couples
- Builders For Christ Ministry (BFC) – Building and remodeling Churches
- Care Center Ministry – On-site Worship services at skilled nursing facilities
- Gideons International Ministry – International evangelism through Bible and Holy Scripture distribution
- Music Ministry – Leading worship during weekly services
- Walk to Jesus Ministry – Providing evangelism and discipleship to prisoners during and after incarceration
- Mission Ministry Team – Provides emphasis for state, national and international missions fundraising under the umbrella of Texas Baptists https://texasbaptists.org/, as well as local mission fields:
- Week of Prayer for Texas Missions & Mary Hill Davis Offering – Overseen by the Woman’s Missionary Union of Texas (WMU of Texas) https://www.iamtexasmissions.org/what-is-the-texas-missions-offering
- Week of Prayer for North American Missions & Annie Armstrong Easter Offering – Administered by the North American Mission Board (NAMB) https://www.anniearmstrong.com/
- Week of Prayer for International Missions & Lottie Moon Christmas Offering – Administered by the International Missions Board (IMB) https://www.imb.org/lottie-moon-christmas-offering/
- Biannual Luncheon for the Weatherford College BSM Chapter at Granbury campus – Administered by the Texas Baptist Student Ministry (TXBSM) https://www.txbsm.org/
- Baby Bottle Boomerang – Annual fundraiser benefitting the Brazos Pregnancy Center Ministry https://www.brazospregnancycenter.com/
- School Supply Roundup – Annual fundraiser and donation drive benefitting children and teachers affiliated with WBC
- Crafts on Mission – Crafting projects for local and international mission fields, such as *OPERATION Christmas Child, Juarez Mission, Brazos Pregnancy Center and other community needs as they arise.
Please pray for every one of these ministries to have wisdom to be able to do God’s work.
Another thing that I have learned is that we have a church that loves to cook and has provided meals for our BSM Ministry, as well as potlucks. Both are signs that we spend the time and effort for other people. I think this is a big blessing to everyone. When I have the opportunity, I always brag about how much everyone is so happy to do things when they are asked. Thank you for giving to the many different Mission offerings listed above, as well as for all the donations of toys, school supplies, yarn, material, flip flops, etc.
*Our next big project is sending shoeboxes to children all around the world – it is called OPERATION Christmas Child. Samaritan’s Purse, an international relief missions organization, created the mission of Operation Christmas Child to provide God’s love in a tangible way to children in need around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ. They accomplish this by partnering with churches worldwide to pack shoeboxes with items for children, which are delivered near Christmastime. The most important part is they receive the plan of salvation when they receive a shoebox.
Please pray about which of the THREE ways you can contribute to this project:
- WBC will provide the shoeboxes and you can pack your own with easy-to-follow guidelines. Brochures with packing guidelines and boxes will soon be in the foyer for you to pick up. The deadline to return filled shoeboxes is November 8, 2020.
- You can donate $20.00 per box and the Missions Ministry Team will pack one for you. Please make your checks payable to Waples Baptist Church, noting “OCC” in the memo. Add an additional $9.00 and we will provide you with tracking info so you can “Follow Your Box”!
- For $25.00 per box, visit https://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/buildonline/ and have them build a box for you.
-God’s blessings to all, Dena Evans
If you feel prayerfully led to participate in our Missions Ministry Team, please contact Dena Evans, Missions Ministry Director, at email@example.com or (817) 992-1639. If you would like to support this ministry with tax-deductible donations, please make your check payable to “WAPLES BAPTIST CHURCH” and write “MISSIONS TEAM” in the memo field.